Tuesday, May 25, 2010

On your mark...Get set...SLOW!

“Why are you running? Is someone chasing you with a sharp object?”

This is exactly the question I asked my sister every time she talked about running. She would tell me, “I ran 3 miles today,” and in my head, I couldn’t even comprehend my body being able to withstand that impact without hyperventilating and falling apart. It seemed an absolute impossibility.

I’m going to be completely honest with you—I began learning how to run at about 180 pounds. And although I had been pretty dedicated to Zumba and spin for about 8 months, I had certainly never EVER run a day in my life. I had a lot stacked against me, both literally and figuratively.

I had already lost about 50 pounds by this point in time, so I figured what the heck?! Why not just try it and see if I liked it? There were other avenues of exercise I loved if I didn’t like it, so no big loss if it didn’t work out. And so, being the stubborn little sister I am—who simply MUST do everything big sister does—I decided to give it a try.

I started outside at the park with the Couch to 5K program (which I will rave about eventually, so stick with me):

Week One: Brisk five-minute warm-up walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes. Repeat at least two more times this week.

No problem, right? Wrong! I couldn’t believe what a struggle it was to maintain a jogging pace even for one minute. It was infuriating. I wanted someone to explain to me why I could dance for an hour straight or ride a spin bike at a ridiculous resistance for 45 minutes at a time, but I couldn’t run one solid minute.

Week Two: Brisk five-minute warm-up walk. Then alternate 90 seconds of jogging and two minutes of walking for a total of 20 minutes. Repeat at least two more times this week.

You’ve got to be kidding me?! It wasn’t any easier the second week. I thought surely after week one it would get easier. I also thought running for a minute at a time would be a breeze, but I was wrong then, too. I was tired of being wrong and was ready to give up.

I was still seriously struggling about the third or fourth week of my training, so I decided to call the person who inspired me to try this in the first place. Important sidenote: Cold weather set in about this time, so it forced me in to the gym where I could see a numerical representation of what I was doing (mad props to the running god for the resulting serendipity).

“Just slow down,” my sister said. “How fast are you going? Six miles per hour? Yeah, just slow down to about 4.5 to 4.7 miles per hour, and you will be amazed at how much further you can go. You’ll work on speed later. Right now you are building endurance.”

She’s so smart. And the solution seemed simple enough. This is where I tell you that the treadmill was the most important part of my learning to run. I did exactly what my sister told me. I punched in 4.7 on the treadmill and slowed it down. I went from being able to run 3 minutes at a time to 5 minutes at a time in just a couple of days. I eventually bumped it up to 5 miles per hour and still managed to go from 5 minutes straight to 10 minutes of continuous running! This was really working!!!

I made the mistake of overworking my feet about halfway through my Couch to 5K training, and I ended up with a nasty case of plantar fasciitis. Because I continued rigorous workouts in addition to my running, I ended up having to stop running and start going to physical therapy three times a week for a full month. It was awful, and it was completely my own fault!

After a week of complete rest and physical therapy for my feet, I was allowed to go back to spin and use the elliptical. I did that for a month before I started running again. It took very little time to get back into my groove, and I picked up where I left off. From start to finish, with some time off for work travel and a month out for my foot injury, it took me 6 months to consistently run a full 3.2 miles or 5K without stopping.

Now I love running and can’t imagine my life without it. I get really anxious for 5:00 p.m. to roll around, just so I can get home and into my running shoes. Just like the weight-loss journey, running is all about you. It is your music on your iPod and your time to forget about the office and everything that is on your mind. You are too busy concentrating on breathing and pacing yourself to make room for any nonsense in your head! It helps that you feel like a complete rock star when you meet a distance or time goal.

And for my science geeks who want to know why running is so good for them? Running helps lower blood pressure by maintaining the elasticity of the arteries, maximizes the lungs’ potential, and strengthens the heart to help prevent heart attacks. In fact, the heart of an inactive person beats 36,000 more times each day than that of a runner, as running keep the arteries open and the blood flowing smoothly.

The euphoria that comes with running is a betaendorphin release triggered by the neurons in the nervous system. Intended to alleviate the pain after a run, it creates a feeling of extreme happiness and exhilaration—sweet! Runners can actually become addicted to this intense high, and it can often replace other addictions to drugs, alcohol, and even food (yes, please?!). Furthermore, as running makes your body function better, it will improve your sleep, eating, and relaxation. Surprisingly, running does not increase appetite and, in fact, tends to diminish it, acting as a suppressant.

So follow these guidelines and get ready to achieve the seemingly unachievable:
1) Find a beginner regimen that works for you. Couch to 5K is a proven method for new runners, and it will keep you from overworking your body too soon. There are even podcasts available for download through iTunes that will walk you, or run you rather, through the program week by week.
2) While getting your body used to running outdoors is important, make sure you are spending some quality time on the treadmill at first to monitor your speed. SLOW IT DOWN as you build your endurance.

3) Find a 5K near you and register for it. Do it now! The couch to 5K is a 9-week program, but give yourself a minimum of 3-4 months to run 3 miles consistently before your first race. I came in 27 out of 37 ladies in my division in my first run, and you know what? It felt like first place! Finishing your first race will give you the impetus to keep running and getting faster and training for longer distances. I am looking forward to St. Jude’s Half-Marathon in December. My sister is coming all the way from San Antonio to run my first Half-Marathon with me!
4) Don’t overdo it! Your body is taking impact it has never taken before. While you are training, your run is the only weight-bearing exercise you need to do in one day. Take it from one who knows!
5) Three is the magic number. Run three times a week. One run for speed—alternating between sprinting and jogging (or walking if necessary for proper recovery); one run for endurance—don’t worry about your speed (in fact, the slower the better!), and go as far as you can without increasing your overall run more than 1/10 of the number of miles you run in a week; and one run at your own natural pace.
6) Plan your route. You will need to find a safe route with a nice mix of hills and flat ground to maximize your workout. You can create your own routes to know exactly how far you are going.
7) Make an amazing soundtrack for this endeavor. You’ll need pace songs, fast songs for sprinting, and slower songs for cool down. Go bananas here, girls! Here is my top ten list for favorite running songs:
a. Head over Heels by The Go Go’s
b. Love Shack by The B-52’s
c. No Air from the Glee Soundtrack (this is funny and ironic as you're gasping for breath)
d. Smooth Criminal by Michael Jackson
e. Just Dance by Lady Gaga
f. That’s Not My Name by the Ting Tings
g. Walk Like an Egyptian by The Bangles
h. Circus by Brittany Spears
i. Sexy Back by Justin Timberlake
j. Sober by Pink

Comment with your top ten favorite running or workout songs!

8 comments:

  1. Well, I can't comment with a favorite running song because I'm one of those that doesn't run unless being chased with a sharp object. I LOVE your blog though, and I'm feeling a little inspired to give the "couch to 5K" a try. There's actually a 5K here in September, but I was planning to just walk it...and even that was going to require some training. It is crazy hot today (there I go again, always making excuses), but I think I'll put Matthew in the never-before-used jogger and give your week 1 advice a try. I'll keep you updated on how badly it kicks my butt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing the C25K program too. I do week 3 day 1 tonight after work. In fact I'm headed out early to get to the gym before all the treadmills are taken. My fav running songs:
    Single Ladies - Beyonce
    Candyman - Christina Aguilera
    Circus - Britney Spears
    I don't feel like dancing - Scissor Sisters
    Just Dance - Lada Gaga
    Me Against the Music - Briney Spears and Madana
    Rehab - Amy Winehouse
    Show Stopper - Danity Kane
    Voodoo - Godsmack
    Down with the sickness - Disturbed

    I could go on and on. I make sure my Ipod is loaded up with tunes that I can run to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Jennifer, I'm thrilled. I hoped the program is as kind to you as it was to me. Let me know when your first race is, and I will try my best to join you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The student as become the teacher! I hadn't run in weeks and when I finally got back out there I wanted to go at the same pace that I was running 2 months ago. This post reminded me that you have to go slow before you can go fast. So I ran this afternoon like a newbie. And I feel awesome and can't wait to get back out there tomorrow!

    Favorite running songs (I can't stop at 10, but I did list my favorites first):
    Glowing Soul - Candlebox
    Misery Business - Paramore
    Take It Off - The Donnas
    Spaceship - Puddle of Mudd
    Life, In a Nutshell - Barenaked Ladies
    I Feel the Earth Move - Carole King
    B.O.B. - Outkast
    Hips Don't Lie - Shakira
    Burning Georgia Down - Balsam Range
    Blinded By the Light - Manfred Mann's Earth Band
    Gotta Get Through This - Daniel Beddingfield
    No Diggity - Blackstreet
    Pour Some Sugar on Me - Def Leppard
    Ten Thousand Fists - Disturbed
    I Will Buy You a New Life - Everclear
    Are You Man Enough - The Four Tops
    The Sweet Escape - Gwen Stefanie
    Think About You - Guns N' Roses
    Celebrity Skin - Hole
    Mr. Brightside - The Killers
    Your Love - The Outfield
    Kiss Me Deadly - Lita Ford
    Dangerous - Kardinal Offishall
    Fuego - Pitbull
    Little Red Corvette - Prince
    American Girl - Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
    Down and Out - Tantric

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the playlists! Keep them coming, ya'll! My iPod is so excited to get an update this weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rebel Yell- Billy Idol
    This song is great for pacing. This song is a must for the endurance run.
    Mr. Jones- Counting Crows
    Take Me on The Floor- The veronicas
    Misery Business- Paramore
    Welcome to the Black Parade- My Chemical Romance
    3- Britney Spears
    Five Minutes To Midnight- Boys Like Girls
    Tidal Wave- Owl City
    Pete Wentz is the Only Reason We're Famous- Cobra Starship
    Sexy Bitch- David Guetta
    Mr. Jones- Counting Crows
    Remember the Name- Fort Minor
    The Anthem- Good Charlotte
    Canned Heat- Jamiroquai
    My Life Would Suck Without You- Kelly Clarkson
    Flagpole Sitta-Harvey Danger
    Freedom '90- George Michael
    Shake Em on Down- North MS Allstars
    HIgher Ground- Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Smooth Criminal- Michael Jackson
    I know I have lots more, but this is enough for now :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see a few songs that we all danced to when you two were little girls!!

    ReplyDelete